Also known as the common seadragon, the weedy seadragon is a relative of the seahorse that can be found in waters all around southern Australia and Tasmania. Their name comes from their physical appearance, which looks somewhat like sea weeds and acts as camouflage.
- Scientific Name: Phyllopteryx taeniolatus
- Characteristics: Like all Safari figurines, this seadragon model was designed to be both life-like and scientifically accurate. Because weedy seadragons rely so much on camouflage to elude predators, make sure you leave this fellow somewhere to hide in case it feels scared!
- Size and Color: Standing 8 inches tall and 2 inches long, this figurine is about as tall as a 16 oz. water bottle and as long as a deck of cards. Adult weedy seadragons are predominantly yellow, with blue, red, and black accents.
- The Weedy Seadragon is part of the Incredible Creatures® collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Unfortunately, the weedy seadragon is classified as near threatened by the IUCN. Like many marine species, they are primarily affected by habitat loss and degradation. Without a doubt, pollution is the largest factor affecting weedy seadragon populations. Thankfully, the weedy seadragon is not believed to be affected by bycatch or activities related to commercial fishing.