Best known for their large size, distinctive call, and of course their enormous tusks, walruses are the only living species in the in the family Odobenidae and the genus Odobenus. There are 3 subspecies of Walrus: the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Laptev walrus.
- Scientific Name: Odobenus rosmarus
- Characteristics: Although walruses can grow to nearly 4,500 pounds, you can hold this one in the palm of your hand! Like all of our figurines, this walrus was hand painted and professionally sculpted, making it a wonderful addition to any nature enthusiast’s collection.
- Size and Color: 4.68 inches long and 2.34 inches tall, this figurine is a bit smaller than a soda can resting on its side. Like this model depicts, walruses are predominantly cinnamon brown, although they can look pale and sometimes even white while in the water.
- The Walrus is part of the Wild Safari® Sea Life collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Walruses are recognized as a keystone species in the Arctic marine region, and are important in terms of the habitat’s overall health. Sadly, during the late 19th and early 20th century, walruses were severely overhunted for blubber and ivory. This led to a crippling drop in their numbers, of which they’ve spent the last 100 years attempting to rebound from. Walrus numbers are fortunately increasing, although certain groups still remain fragmented and their populations are low relative to many species in the Arctic area.